Re: Re: Plotting date-time series in 3D how to handle date-time to plot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106768] Re: [mg106733] Re: Plotting date-time series in 3D how to handle date-time to plot
  • From: Canopus56 <canopus56 at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 07:31:21 -0500 (EST)

Hans, Thank you for your detailed replies on this.  Your thoughts greatly helped.  I have had to set this aside for a few days to work on another project.

With respect to your offline suggestion that I post a description of the entire project that I am working on in order to give better context to my questions,  I'll do that when I get back to it.  In general, I am an astronomy hobbyist and I am using Mathematica to:

1) make better plots of hourly meteor radio reflection counts,

2) to generate a predicted noise signal for what is called the apex-of-way effect (radio meteor counts go up as an observer's location traverses the direction of the earth's orbital path, thus slamming more dust particles into the atmosphere as the Earth impacts dust particles in its orbital path);

3) filtering the raw meteor radio reflection counts by removing the portion of the signal attributable to the apex-of-the-way effect.

In the future, I may attempt to apply a Fourier transform to the resulting filtered signal in order sharpen the data.

However, in working on this project, it has turned into a more general skill question of how do you generically import triple date-time ordered csv files and plot the results in 3-D.  There is alot of data in astronomy that involve date-time ordered triples that are easier to understand if plotted in 3D.

Thanks again, Kurt