non rectangular crop

is it possible to have a not rectangular image in Mathematica?

I have a lot of images acquired by microscope - they are all squared,
with the circular field of view surrounded by black.
I'd like - for further processing - to crop all the black region
outside the circle.

Or perhaps images are all rectangular in M?

alessandro