Re: The side-effects of mixing TraditionalForm inside expressions.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110802] Re: The side-effects of mixing TraditionalForm inside expressions.
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 07:42:29 -0400 (EDT)

In article <i0urh5$6l9$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Andrzej Kozlowski <akozlowski at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 + Unevaluated[1]
>
>  2

Fascinating.  I'd call this one more classic Mathematica gotcha, and one
more example of fairly poor quality of Mathematica documentation -- or
at least of the very arcane character of Mathematica for "ordinary
users", once you get to any depth within it.

Help Browser says:

   Unevaluated[expr]
         represents the unevaluated form of expr when it appears as
         the argument to a function.

So, what does Unevaluated[expr] do when it is NOT the argument to a
function?

(The previous statement I'd say clearly implies that there are times
when Unevaluated[expr] does appear as an arg to function, and therefore
times when it does not -- and both need to be defined.)

So, if Unevaluated[expr] is entered all by itself in a cell, is it then
"the argument to a function"?

If the cell contains 1 + Unevaluated[expr] as above, does that make the
Unevaluated[expr] an argument to a function -- or not?  (I can see
arguing that above queries either way -- and digging further down into
the Help Browser examples is not very helpful.)

How would one find out from Mathematica documentation what "argument to
a function" means, precisely?   Is there any significance to "argument
to" rather than the (I think) more common usage "argument of"?

Is Unevaluated[expr] used in a syntactically acceptable way _always_ the
argument to a function?