Re: The side-effects of mixing TraditionalForm inside expressions.

On 06/07/10 10:03, Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:
> This information is very misleading because what you have observed has
> nothing in particular to do with TraditionalForm. To see that, replace
> TrditionalForm with InputForm or StandardForm and see what happens.
> All these "forms" are meant only for the purpose of formatting and
> should not be used inside computations as they are not stripped of after
> evaluation (as, for example, Unevaluted is).
>
> E.g:
>
> 1 + InputForm[1]
>
> 1+1
>
> FullForm[%]
>
> Plus[1,InputForm[1]]
>
> vs
>
> 1 + Unevaluated[1]
>
>   2
>
> Andrzej Kozlowski

I have always thought WRI could usefully change the wording that appears
in the documentation of all these wrapper functions:

"InputForm acts as a "wrapper", which affects display, but not evaluation."

Of course, they DO affect evaluation!

David Bailey

http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk