Re: The side-effects of mixing TraditionalForm inside expressions.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110824] Re: The side-effects of mixing TraditionalForm inside expressions.
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 03:12:41 -0400 (EDT)

On 7/7/10 at 7:43 AM, dave at removedbailey.co.uk (David Bailey) wrote:

>I have always thought WRI could usefully change the wording that
>appears in the documentation of all these wrapper functions:

>"InputForm acts as a "wrapper", which affects display, but not
>evaluation."

>Of course, they DO affect evaluation!

I don't see this as any more correct that the current
documentation. The problem with saying evaluation is or is not
affected in your statement above or the documentation, is
neither specifies what is being evaluated.

What would be more complete is to say InputForm and similar
functions affect the display of their arguments but not the
evaluation of their arguments. They do output a different
expression than what would exist had they not been used. That
is, evaluation of the argument to InputForm is not changed.
Subsequent evaluation of what is returned is affected by usage
of InputForm.