Re: Simple Question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110907] Re: Simple Question
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 06:18:51 -0400 (EDT)

On 7/10/10 at 3:59 AM, hussain.alqahtani at gmail.com (KFUPM) wrote:

>Is it possible in Mathematica to generate a stand-alone code that
>doesn't require Mathematica to exist for execution. I have done this
>in Fortran and wondering if this exists in Mathematica.

The answer greatly depends on precisely what it is you want to
do. There are a couple of options.

First, there is the Mathematica Player that will run Mathematica
code without an installation of Mathematica. For details see
Wolfram's web site.

The other option would be export expressions as either CForm or
FortranForm and use the appropriate compiler to create a stand
alone executable. But be aware what can be done in this manner
is limited. Expressions consisting of operations that have a
direct analog in either C or Fortran can be exported in a form
suitable for an external compiler. But specialized functions,
such as say Integrate cannot be exported in a form useful to an
external compiler.