Re: Simple Question

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg110906] Re: Simple Question
  • From: Joseph Gwinn <joegwinn at>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 06:18:40 -0400 (EDT)

In article <i1998f$pu8$1 at>, KFUPM <hussain.alqahtani at>

> Dear All
> Is it possible in Mathematica to generate a stand-alone code that
> doesn't require Mathematica to exist for execution. I have done this
> in Fortran and wondering if this exists in Mathematica.

Mathematica function CForm[] will generate C code, but there are restrictions.
Specifically, CForm will not expand built-in functions like FindRoot.  But I
have used CForm to generate the blob of code needed to perform vector and matrix
computations in embedded processors too small and too odd for Mathematica
to run on, and/or where Mathematica is itself far too slow.

The real reason to use CForm here was to cut down on coding errors in a messy
bit of coordinate-transform code.

Joe Gwinn