Re: deploying a package in human-unreadable form

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110920] Re: deploying a package in human-unreadable form
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 06:21:14 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> I have written a package (as a *.m) file and wish to publish it
> without giving everybody access to the source code. Is there a way to
> do this? I have tried using DumpSave, which goes part of the way by
> removing the comments from the source code. But I'd prefer total code
> obfuscation or compilation.

Using DumpSave will only let users with the same operating system /
architecture load the package. I think the recommended way to do what
you want is to use Encode together with the attributes Protected,
ReadProtected, Locked for your symbols.

You should still be warned that an experienced user will probably be
able to uncover your code with some effort. And of course WRI will be
able to decode the encoded package. Note that this is no restriction of
Mathematica, it has been argued that for whatever way you deliver code
written in whatever language, it is always possible to uncover it for
experienced hackers with time and effort to spend: After all, the
processor needs to have ways to uncover what it is supposed to do...

hth,

albert