Re: Stem and Leaf Question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110947] Re: Stem and Leaf Question
  • From: Darren Glosemeyer <darreng at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 05:27:10 -0400 (EDT)

jroge wrote:
> I am creating some basic stem and leaf plots. I would like to reverse
> the order of the stems in the output so they are decreasing from high
> to low rather than the usual low to high. I have not been able to find
> any documentation in the help system that explains how to reverse that
> order. I have tried the reverse function but that doesn't seem
> compatible.

There currently isn't a built-in control for this, but the effect can be
obtained by replacing the entries in the output by reversed entries. The
following shows how that could be done.

In[1]:= << StatisticalPlots`

In[2]:= sldata = {1, 3.2, 3.1, 4.556, 5.7345};

In[3]:= slp = StemLeafPlot[sldata];

In[4]:= slp[[1, 1, 1, 1, 2 ;; All]] = Reverse[slp[[1, 1, 1, 1, 2 ;; All]]];

In[5]:= slp

Out[5]= Stem   Leaves

        5      7

        4      6

        3      12

        1      0

        Stem units: 1

Is this a common thing to want for stem and leaf plots? If so, perhaps
it would be useful for us to add an option to the function.

Darren Glosemeyer
Wolfram Research