Re: total newbie

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111080] Re: total newbie
  • From: Helen Read <hpr at together.net>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 02:11:39 -0400 (EDT)

On 7/18/2010 1:03 AM, David Park wrote:

> It really would be nice if the public thought enough of Mathematica that
> young people were exposed to it early

Yes, but:

> and didn't have to learn the basics in
> the middle of some course dealing with substantial material.

In my experience, it really is not difficult for students to pick up
Mathematica by using it in a university level calculus class. I spend a
grand total of one class period during the first week getting them up
and running, and after that we use Mathematica routinely, without making
a fuss about it.

And now with the Classroom Assistant palette, the learning curve is very
gentle. I don't have to say a word about syntax on Day 1. I just get the
students started with Classroom Assistant, showing them where to find
Define Function, Plot, Table, and a few other things, and let them go to
it. They pick up Mathematica syntax _on their own_ over the next couple
of weeks. After a while they are mostly typing things in themselves, and
rarely use the Classroom Assistant. Every one of them is pretty good at
it by the end of the semester.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont