Re: Very very basic question about Mathematica expressions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111166] Re: Very very basic question about Mathematica expressions
  • From: Sam Takoy <sam.takoy at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 05:44:18 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks to all who responded!

May I belabor this point a little. I understand how to make Manipulate
work and I understand functions. (I am a product of Scheme from with
Mathematica seems to have borrowed a few ideas.)

My question is much more formal: What are the building blocks of
Mathematica, the formal language. When you say

s = x+h

what is s?

Is it an "expression"? Does s represent x+h wherever it appears
(assuming x and h are unassigned at the time of s=x+h)? Apparently not
always: yes in s/.h->5, but not in Manipulate.

So here, then is my "model" of Mathematica:
In s = x+h, s is an "Expression"
In s[x_, h_]:=x+h, s is a "Function"

Manipulate expects a "Function" so that answers my question.

Then what is

s[h_] := x + h?  Is it an "Expression" or a "Function" of h with a
parameter x?

Would then Manipulate[Plot[s[h], {x, 0, 1}, PlotRange -> {0, 1}], {h, 0,
1}] work? (The answer is yes.) So apparently, Plot is happy with an
"Expression", but Manipulate wants a "Function"? Why?

Also, in Manipulate[Plot[x+h, {x, 0, 1}, PlotRange -> {0, 1}], {h, 0,
1}], x+h is no longer an "Expression", but is once again a "Function",
because of the context? Even though it's inside Plot which is happy with
an "Expression"?

A personal note: I guess I'm a little frustrated that after a few months
of working with Mathematica, I still have to try things before I know
whether they'll work or not. I'm used to having a clear picture of the
grammar of the language that I'm working with, but I'm struggling here.