Re: Very very basic question about Mathematica expressions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111209] Re: Very very basic question about Mathematica expressions
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 07:14:37 -0400 (EDT)

On 7/22/2010 2:44 AM, Sam Takoy wrote:

> A personal note: I guess I'm a little frustrated that after a few months
> of working with Mathematica, I still have to try things before I know
> whether they'll work or not. I'm used to having a clear picture of the
> grammar of the language that I'm working with, but I'm struggling here.

Welcome to Mathematica programming :)

In Mathematica, there is no language reference manual. Hence, one must
try something to learn how it works.

Its like you have a large box full of different tools, it takes time to
learn which tool works best with which other tool and the best way to
carry and move each tool.

It is well known that Mathematica has a steep learning curve, and I
think this is the main reason for that.

But it seems that after more time with it, one starts to see common
patterns of how things works and to see the logic behind things, but it
does take time. May be years, not months?

--Nasser