Saving files from the web

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111187] Saving files from the web
  • From: Rui <rui.rojo at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 07:10:32 -0400 (EDT)

I want to save some files from the web to the disk. I already
generated the list of strings with the urls of the files I want to
get, urlList, and I want them to keep the same names under the
directory stored in the variable "dir". But my difficulty is in
getting a file from the web and saving it to disk without Mathematica
interpreting anything about the format. FileCopy doesn't seem to work.

Files are in zip, doc and pdf formats but I'm looking for a format-
independent way. Should be easy, just binary import-export, but it's
giving me a hard time.

Any easy way to tell Mathematica to do this?

Thanks