Re: Linking my fortran subroutines with Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg111316] Re: Linking my fortran subroutines with Mathematica
  • From: Patrick Scheibe <pscheibe at>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 04:18:09 -0400 (EDT)

I never wrote fortran but it shouldn't be too hard.
First the fortran-file "function.f90" with the content

real*8 function fortfunc(a,b)
real*8 a,b
end function fortfunc

Second the for the MathLink

#include "mathlink.h"

extern "C" double fortfunc_(double *a, double *b);

:Function:       multiply
:Pattern:        multiply[a_?NumericQ, b_?NumericQ]
:Arguments:      { a, b }
:ArgumentTypes:  { Real, Real }
:ReturnType:     Real

double multiply( double a, double b)
   return fortfunc_(&a, &b);

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
	return MLMain(argc, argv);

Compile the fortran file with

g95 -Wall -c function.f90

process the .tm file with the mprep program to create the .c file

mprep -o interface.c

compile the file and link it with the objectfile from your fortran code

g++ -I$mpath interface.c  function.o -L$mpath -lMLi3

Here $mpath contains the path to the MathLink compiler stuff. On my
OSX this is

on a linux box the Mathematica root is usually under /usr/local/

Then you can start the executable

./a.out -linkname blub -linkmode listen

and use it inside a Mathematica session with e.g.

lnk = Install[LinkConnect["blub"]]
multiply[10.0, 11.0]

That's it.