Forcing Mathematica to use standard fonts

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111321] Forcing Mathematica to use standard fonts
  • From: Greg Egan <gregegan at netspace.net.au>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 07:53:00 -0400 (EDT)

Suppose I embed some text in a graphic using:

Style[
  Text["The (quick+brown) fox = the lazy-dog", coords],
  FontFamily->"Times"]

If I export this graphic (e.g. to PDF or SVG), Mathematica will put
most of the text in Times, but the characters "(+)=-" will all be in
special Mathematica fonts, generally with their own special encodings.

I appreciate that Mathematica has good reasons for substituting its
own fonts when it typesets mathematical expressions, but in some
situations I'd like to be able to create output that uses only
standard fonts.

Is there any way to force Mathematica to stop this character-by-
character font-substitution, and output all characters unchanged in a
single, specified font?  There's a tantalising claim in the
documentation (tutorial/TextAndFontOptions):

"For a given text font, Mathematica tries to choose the special
character font that matches it best. You can help Mathematica to make
this choice by giving rules for "FontSerifed" and "FontMonospaced" in
the setting for the FontProperties option. You can also give rules for
"FontEncoding" to specify explicitly from what font each character is
to be taken."

... but there's no proper documentation of this feature, if it even
still exists in v7; the documentation for FontProperties warns that
"This function has not been fully integrated into the long-term
Mathematica system, and is subject to change."

Thanks for any help people can offer.