How do make the output of Graphics[ ] print out in "Inch" units ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110112] How do make the output of Graphics[ ] print out in "Inch" units ?
  • From: jalbers <jalbers at bsu.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 02:05:42 -0400 (EDT)

I want to use Mathematica to for some sheet metal layout applications
where the output is printed out on paper.  A simple example would be a
3,4,5 triangle where the sides are 3 inches, 4 inches, and 5 inches.

Graphics[{Line[{{1, 1}, {4, 1}, {4, 5}, {1, 1}}]}] would produce the
triangle, but how can I guarantee that when the notebook is printed
out on paper, the sides of the triangle will measure  3 inches, 4
inches, and 5 inches and the vertex at (1,1) will be 1 inch in both
the x and y directions from the origin?

I thought about through programming have Mathematica generate a file
of postscript commands and then distilling the postscript file but I
hope that there is an easier way.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks