Floating point exception when taking a reciprocal of a list in v.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110440] Floating point exception when taking a reciprocal of a list in v.
  • From: Leo Alekseyev <dnquark at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 01:25:19 -0400 (EDT)

I am running into a strange bug where taking reciprocals of a list of
floating point numbers crashes the kernel with a floating point
exception.  This is on a Linux x86_64 system, Ubuntu 9.10, running
Mathematica 7.0.1.0

Something like
   foo=Array[1.0&,1000]; 1/foo
or
   foo=RandomReal/@Range[100]; 1/foo
gives me the crash
Replacing floats with integers makes things work fine, also, for small
enough lists (order of 10 elements) everything works.

Same version of Mathematica on a 32-bit linux system or on Windows
doesn't exhibit this behavior.

I am rather mystified by what's going on; my hardware/OS is pretty
standard, so if the bug were this obvious it would have long been
known by now...  But if anyone else has run into similar behavior
and/or knows of some sort of a fix, please let me know.

Thanks,

--Leo