Re: Setting PageSize and PaperSize

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110646] Re: Setting PageSize and PaperSize
  • From: Larry Adelston <larrya at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 01:50:36 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Robert,

Unfortunately the PaperSize option is not fully implemented on all
operating systems. So there is currently no reliable method for
preserving and sharing a particular paper size among all notebooks,
unless it happens to be the printer's default size.

But PageSize, PrintingMargins, and PrintRegistrationMarks can all be
preserved and shared among all notebooks if you set the options at the
Global level. Note, the numerical units used in both PageSize and
PrintingMargins are printer points, not inches. 72 points == 1 inch.
In order to set the correct sizes you must first convert the inch
values to points (i.e., multiply inch values by 72). So a page size of
11 in. X17 in. becomes 792 pts X 1224 pts.:

PageSize->{792, 1224}

Print margins of 0.25 in. all around become 18 pts.:

PrintingMargins->{{18, 18}, {18, 18}}

PrintRegistrationMarks takes a value of either True or False:

PrintRegistrationMarks->True

Warning, if you modify a notebook's print Margins or Registration
Marks through the dialog by choosing File > Printing Settings >
Printing Options, you will effectively override the Global-level
option settings for both PrintingMargins and PrintRegistrationMarks
for that notebook. Saving the notebook will preserve the overrides.

Regarding Registration Marks, your assumption is correct. In order to
make the Registration Marks visible in print the PageSize must be
smaller than the paper size.

The three options can be set globally simply by evaluating the
following:

SetOptions[$FrontEnd,
  PrintingOptions -> {"PageSize" -> {792, 1224},
    "PrintingMargins" -> {{18, 18}, {18, 18}},
    "PrintRegistrationMarks" -> True}]

Yours,
Larry