Re: Transition to Wolfram Workbench

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108038] Re: Transition to Wolfram Workbench
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 04:02:32 -0500 (EST)

John Fultz wrote:
> If take your notebook and you do...
>
> * File->Save As...
> * Choose "Mathematica Package" under the file type
> * Save as any .m file...but not using the same name as your .nb file (because

Back at version 6, I started developing code in .m files using the
FrontEnd - just as John describes. The editing experience is so good, I
never made the next step to using the Workbench! The FrontEnd has some
nice features over the Workbench:

1)   All the extra Mathematica characters render correctly, rather than
as say /[Breve].

2)   You can evaluate the contents of the .m file directly, and any
output appears as if you were working in an ordinary notebook, except
that it is not stored when you save the file - which I find ideal. Of
course, that doesn't stop you pasting such output into a notebook if you
need to save it.

3)   The format of the .m file is extremely simple, as John has said,
and the formatting information is hidden in Mathematica comments, so the
..m file is directly readable with Get[], so it is easy to write
utilities, such as a layout utility, that read the .m file as pure text.

If only Wolfram would support colours - (* ::Color[1,0,0]:: *), (* ::
EndColor:: *) I'd say feel this scheme was perfect - indeed, I don't see
why it would not be possible to allow colour in code/input cells.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk