Re: Transition to Wolfram Workbench

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108080] Re: Transition to Wolfram Workbench
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 06:11:02 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

>> If you are only writing pure mathematica package files, the added value
>> of the workbench is IMHO limited, it really can help you to save a lot
>> of work only if you either plan to provide documentation that you want
>> to integrate into the Documentation Center ......
>
> I have figured out and documented an easy way to integrate documentation
> into the DC without the use of the workbench. See my website for details.

I know that and also the documentation of David Reiss, which adds some
other tricks to the ones in your documentation. Both are appreciated and
very helpful and good enough to integrate documentation into the
Documentation Center. But they both assume rather good familiarity with
Mathematica (which the workbench actually does, too) and there are some
additional benefits that only the workbench/documentation tools provide:
e.g. the stylesheets for documentation source notebooks, the toolbars to
edit documentation notebooks and the automatic links that the workbench
inserts when "building" the documentation. So if you are using the
workbench anyway, the tools it provides for creating documentation are a
big help, on the other hand it is not absolutely necessary to use the
workbench to get your documentation done, thanks to your and the other
Davids documentations, which actually one have only the one drawback of
being not "official" and thus might need adaption with a future version...

regards,

albert

hth,

albert