Re: Re: learning calculus through mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108143] Re: [mg108082] Re: learning calculus through mathematica
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 06:22:29 -0500 (EST)

To add something in the way of speculation: Some people might not be good at
calculation, yet they might be good at mathematical thinking if they can get
over the calculation hump. The Rainman was good at calculation but no good
at mathematics.

As an analogy I was never good at cursive writing and early on took to
printing. I won't say how much time I've spent trying to master "&"! I've
read exhortations by teachers claiming students must absolutely master
cursive writing. So if they don't master it, does that mean they will never
likely be good at expressing ideas in writing, say on a computer?

Mathematica can open up mathematics to a wider range of students. But not
out-of-the-box. It is too hierarchically thin, and too difficult to
manipulate expressions to common forms. Approaches may need to be altered.
There needs to be more of an axiomatic approach and a distinction between
what is mathematics and what is "plug and chug". Almost any subject will
have its axiom set and these should be implemented, either in the form of
rules or definitions that carry out some transformation. But the axioms
should not be automatically applied. For some subjects the higher level
Mathematica operations may need to be bypassed. The student would then have
to recognize when various axioms are needed and apply them. Perhaps the
student could bring up a window that listed all the axioms. If a student
were solving problems by this method wouldn't that be considered as doing
mathematics? Also, wouldn't this keep the student concentrated on the
foundations of the subject and give the right kind of practice?

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: Murray Eisenberg [mailto:murray at math.umass.edu]

One reason is very simple: by using a CAS to do many long symbolic
calculations, students can focus on modeling and the resulting and
relevant mathematical concepts and methods -- not the details of
carrying out long chains of algorithmic, algebraic steps.

My 45 years of teaching make perfectly clear that, for most students in
calculus, e.g., they are so involved in trying to get the symbolic
manipulations right, they have little or any idea of why they're doing
them.  They totally miss the forest for the trees.

The other side of this situation, I regret to say from my experience, is
that the lazier or intellectually weaker students are often incapable of
rising above merely carrying out mechanically the symbolic manipulations
-- many of which they get wrong anyway -- to have much of an
understanding of the higher-level concepts involved.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305