Pi day

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108300] Pi day
  • From: Tom <tidetabletom at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 07:55:23 -0500 (EST)

Hello,  I am a high school math teacher and the following puzzle was
posed by a few math teachers I am in contact with.

Create a fraction whose numerator has the digits 1 - 9 (used once)
and whose denominator has the digits 1 - 9  (used one) .

Which fraction has a value closest to the value of pi?

I've worked on some "brute force" checks and managed to check all
possible fractions with 2,3,4,5 and 6 digits.   But after that, there
are just too many possibilities.

I don't have the programming ability to implement something elegant in
Mathematica.

Is there anyone who could suggest an approach to find the solution to
this?

Sincerely,

Tom