Re: Pi day

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108335] Re: Pi day
  • From: Patrick Scheibe <pscheibe at trm.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 05:13:50 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

imagine you would take two good rational approximations for Pi:

Rationalize[Pi, 10^-#] & /@ {11, 22}

gives

{833719/265381, 1299139324288/413528890451}

what you see is that the first approximation uses 6 digits and the last
one 13 at most.
Taking the numerators as x-values and the denominators as y-values and
you can think of this as a line between the points {833719,265381} and
{1299139324288,413528890451}.
All points "near" this line seem to be good approximations to Pi.
Furthermore, the numbers in the last points contain to much digits to
get a rational expression where every digit is different.

Now you could say, I'm going from the last point downwards on the line
and check the points near the line. If a point fulfills the constraint
that every digit in x and y value is unique, you probably have a good
solution.

I don't know what you have so far but I got (zeros included, since I
don't want to solve existing exercises):

8954632071/2850347916

which is 7.299378879110918*^-10 away from Pi.

Cheers
Patrick