Re: Styling print output

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108453] Re: Styling print output
  • From: Larry Adelston <larrya at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 04:33:17 -0500 (EST)

Hi Bram,

If your stylesheet is setup to cascade correctly, you only need to
make adjustments to those styles you want to tweak.

Here is a sample cascading stylesheet (note, a stylesheet is a
specialized notebook):

Notebook[{
Cell[StyleData[StyleDefinitions -> "Default.nb"]],
Cell[CellGroupData[{Cell[StyleData["Text"]],
Cell[StyleData["Text", "Printout"]]}, Open]]
},
StyleDefinitions -> "PrivateStylesheetFormatting.nb"]

Pasting this notebook expression (i.e., stylesheet) into Mathematica
will allow you to open it as a notebook immediately. There are three
cells in the notebook. The first is needed to make the cascade (i.e.,
an inheritance of style definitions from the selected notebook). This
stylesheet is inheriting from Mathematica's Default stylesheet.

The next two cells are both style definitions. Both are style
definitions for the Text style. There are two because the one
designated: "Text, Printout" controls how Text cells print. The style
definition that reads "Text" controls how Text cells appear in the
"Working" environment which is optimized for on-screen typing and
document editing.

Here is a link to general information about editing stylesheets.
http://reference.wolfram.com/legacy/v5_2/FrontEnd/StyleSheets/index.en.html

Although somewhat out of date much of the information is still
relevant. We are planning to revisit stylesheet documentation in a
future release.

Sincerely,
Larry

Larry Adelston