Substitute expressions with FullSimplify

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108656] Substitute expressions with FullSimplify
  • From: Guido Walter Pettinari <coccoinomane at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 05:36:41 -0500 (EST)

Hello world!

This is my first post in this group, but it has been a while since I
started reading it. I always found it quite useful, therefore I wish
to thank everibody for their contributions!

Here is my problem. Let's say I have an expression. I would like to
substitute all the occurences of a given subexpression in this
expression with a symbol. I want to do it in an intelligent way, i.e.
by using FullSimplify instead of ReplaceAll.

If my expression is:

x^2 + y^2

I know that:

FullSimplify [ x^2 + y^2,   x^2 + y^2 == r ]

will produce 'r' as a result, which is what I want.

However, if my expression is

x + y ,

then

FullSimplify [ x + y,   x + y == r ]

produces 'x + y' and not 'r' ! I tried to use

FullSimplify [ x + y,   x + y == r, ComplexityFunction -> LeafCount ]

but I still get 'x+y' as a result.

Do you have any idea on how to substitute x+y with r in an expression?

Thank you very much,

Guido