Manipulate[] and ticks --- offset to avoid collision?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108781] Manipulate[] and ticks --- offset to avoid collision?
  • From: telefunkenvf14 <rgorka at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 05:27:34 -0500 (EST)

Mathgroup:

I am currently able to construct a manipulatable plot of a supply and
demand diagram that includes custom tick marks, set to dynamically
display the current equilibrium price and quantity.

Question: Can someone explain how to add an additional set of custom
tick marks that display 'lower' (on the x axis) and 'to the left' (on
the y axis) of my 'main' tick marks, so I don't have tick-mark
collisions?

(FYI, the second set of tick marks would be linked to shifted copies
of the original demand and supply curves. So far, the best workaround
I've come up with is to use conditional statements, such as Which[] or
nested If[], to switch the additional tick marks on or off based on
proximity to my 'main' ticks.)

Any help, or other creative ideas, would be greatly appreciated.

-RG