Parallelize NonlinearModelFit

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109554] Parallelize NonlinearModelFit
  • From: "Dan O'Brien" <obrie425 at umn.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 06:05:07 -0400 (EDT)

Hello everyone,

I am running Windows XP 32bit with Mathematica 7.0.1 on a dual core
machine (2X 3.0GHz Pentium D) with 2 gigs of RAM.  I have 4 data sets of
spectroscopic data (intensity vs. frequency data with 1340 data points
each) that I am fitting simultaneously with shared parameters as well as
parameters unique to an individual data set.  I can set it up to float
or keep locked any arbitrary number of the parameters, but I usually set
it so not more than 10 (sometimes up to 20) params float at a time.
Computations can take minutes to hours, thus I have been looking into
Mathematica's ability to parallelize computations.  I have some
functions set up to define the arguements supplied to
NonlinearModelFit.  Here is the basic order of operations:

In[13]:= LaunchKernels[]

Out[13]= {KernelObject[1, "local"], KernelObject[2, "local"]}

In[14]:= DistributeDefinitions["Global`"];

In[15]:= Parallelize[NonlinearModelFit[d, m, p, {index, \[Omega]}]]

Parallelize::nopar1: NonlinearModelFit[d,m,p,{index,\[Omega]}] cannot be
parallelized; proceeding with sequential evaluation. >>

Here "d" "m", and "p" are formatted corrected for the necessary
arguements for NonlinearModelFit (sequential evaluation proceeds without
any errors).  From the documentation I believe I have set everything
necessary to parallelize, and NonlinearModelFit should greatly benefit
from parallelization in terms of computational time.  Is it just that
this function hasn't been set internally by Mathematica to be able to
thread its computations?

-DanO