Re: Definition of Deploy

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109558] Re: Definition of Deploy
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 06:05:51 -0400 (EDT)

Am 04.05.2010 12:30, schrieb Tomas Garza:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to teach a first course in Mathematica to Spanish-speaking
> students and there some words I haven't found the equivalent in
> Spanish. For example, Deploy is a word the concept of which I can
> understand, but looking at the on-line help it is rather difficult to
> figure out what would be the appropriate equivalent. The dictionary
> definition is rather discouraging, since it is supposed to be a word
> to be used "only in military context". I would be grateful if
> somebody could come forward with a description of the term in general
> language, and smoothly lead me into its specific meaning in
> Mathematica - not its technical description in the documentation
> center (e.g., Deploy: Deploy[expr] yields a deployed version of
> expr...etc. ; Deployed: Deployed is an option for displayed objects
> which specifies whether their contents should be considered
> deployed...etc.). This I find rather a perverse game.

I think "deployment" has its own meaning in information
technology/software development. You can find information e.g. at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_deployment. The word is very
common in the "IT-language", so probably that is why it is not explained
further. In German it is one of the many words in the area that are very
often not really translated but used as such, probably it is used in the
same way in Spanish...

hth,

albert