Re: How to write reports and books in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109671] Re: How to write reports and books in Mathematica
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 06:28:00 -0400 (EDT)

On 5/10/10 at 6:37 AM, alexei.boulbitch at iee.lu (Alexei Boulbitch)
wrote:

>However, you can imagine my disappointment when I have found out
>that several months after their creation some of these files I
>cannot be open any more, while some others I can open, but this only
>leads to a computer hang up. It happened with about 5 files out of
>several tens, but still each of them required a lot of my time.

FWIW, I've been using Mathematica since about version 1.2 and
have many older notebooks created with older versions of
Mathematica. I've yet to find one of those older files I cannot
open or that causes Mathematica to hang or crash on opening. So,
my experience indicates the problem you are seeing is due to a
corrupted file rather than instability in Mathematica.

>There is a second problem about Mathematica, which I classify as
>less serious, but still very unpleasant. Rather often it informs
>that the system made a heavy error and will close without saving.

I believe this problem is inherent in any software such as
Mathematica that can be seen as a general purpose programming
environment. A characteristic of such software is that it is
relatively easy to create code that consumes memory or other
computer resources without bound. While it would be very nice if
Mathematica could trap such problems and give the user
sufficient warning to quit in a graceful manner, I suspect this
can never be without creating significant performance issues.
That is the nature of allowing arbitrary code to be created and run.