Re: How to write reports and books in Mathematica

Per R=F8nne wrote:
> I am the not quote happy owner of Mathematica Teacher's Edition [it
> doesn't work on Snow Leopard] and I do now see a future need to write
> reports / books using Mathematica - though of course I would then have
> to purchase a new version like Mathematica Home Edition at =A3195.
>
> I do know that all of the Mathematica documentation is written in
> Mathematica itself. But nowhere in this documentation do I see how to
> enter ordinary text or chapter titles in a Mathematica notebook.
>
> I have an MSc degree and teach in the Danish 3-year Sixth Form College
> for the 16-19-year-olds. After the summer vacation next year I am to
> take an extra BSc degree in Physics and Astronomy and this is where I
> will need the ability to write reports in Mathematica, including text,
> formulas and graphics.
>
> So I am even considering to wait with the purchase of a new Mathematica
> - after all the I've got version 5 from 2003, the present version is 7
> and version 8 might have come then.
>
> And - I don't even see anything particularly about the issue in Stephen
> Wolfram's "The Mathematica Book 5th Edition". With 1,500 pages. Only a
> few hints.
> --
> Per Erik R=F8nne
> http://www.RQNNE.dk
> Errare humanum est, sed in errore perseverare turpe

The simple answer is that any block of text can be formatted in a number
of styles (such as Text and Input styles), and to change the style of
any cell, click on the right cell bracket, and select a new style from
the Format/Style menu.

More generally, if you are having difficulty using Mathematica at this
level, you would benefit enormously from a one or two day introductory
course.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk