Re: How to write reports and books in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109690] Re: How to write reports and books in Mathematica
  • From: Vince Virgilio <blueschi at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 07:32:56 -0400 (EDT)

On May 11, 6:27 am, Helen Read <h... at together.net> wrote:

SNIP

> My point is that with the vast number (easily in the thousands) of
> Mathematica notebooks I deal with over the course of an academic year,
> these sorts of problems are extremely rare. I find Mathematica 7.0.1 to
> be extremely stable. I wonder if there is something unusual about your
> set-up, or with your specific use of Mathematica, that is causing problem=
s.

> --
> Helen Read
> University of Vermont

I respectfully submit that these numbers can mislead. Student lab-type
use does not represent industrial use and pressure.

Just now, in Mathematica 7.0.1, I copied an evaluation of
SystemInformation[] to WRI Technical Support as an attached notebook.
A few minutes later, I opened the sent message, and then the attached
notebook. I switched tabs in the SystemInformation[] output, and
Mathematica blew a gasket. Up comes a Windows "debug" dialog, and down
goes all of Mathematica.

Good thing I wasn't hours into a grid job, as I have been before.

One could easily take this as a sharp lesson to not do more than one
very important thing at a time in Mathematica.

Vince Virgilio