Re: How to write reports and books in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109685] Re: How to write reports and books in Mathematica
  • From: "Kevin J. McCann" <Kevin.McCann at umbc.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 07:31:59 -0400 (EDT)

You are right. There is little in the tutorial sense about the use of
StyleSheets that goes beyond the simplest examples. Wolfram has
"promised" that said tutorial/documentation has been forthcoming since
Version 6, but I haven't seen it yet.

I use Mathematica for ALL my class notes (physics grad and undergrad), and I
find that the typesetting, particularly equations, is far superior to
any other word processing system. In addition, of course, Mathematica can
actually evaluate, plot, help with the derivations, etc. With the
addition of the Dynamic stuff, animations are also pretty straightforward.

All that said, I do believe that Mathematica COULD be the wave of the
future for technical writing, but it seems that that last little bit
that makes it easy to use in the word processing sense is not there,
and, judging by the fact that we still haven't seen it after over two
years, and that you, I, and others keep asking questions like yours,
does not seem to be very high on the priority list either.

Kevin