Re: How to write reports and books in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109726] Re: How to write reports and books in Mathematica
  • From: "Kevin J. McCann" <Kevin.McCann at umbc.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 05:33:27 -0400 (EDT)

Murray,

Here we have a difference of opinion. LaTeX and all the other Tex's
require that "code" be written, which is subsequently processed to
generate the final output. To me this is not at all natural and I
observe that others who use it are frequently asking "how do I ...";
whereas, Mathematica allows me to focus on the equations and words. Now, I know
that with LaTeX there is "infinite" control over how things look; so,
you can make it look just right, but, for me at least, the default look
of equations and text in Mathematica is just fine, and I really don't
want to spend time making it look more right.

That said, I rely on the Stylesheet to determine the look and feel of
the document, and, as I said in an earlier post, this is not at all
intuitive. So, here is where I have to spend my time, but once the
template (Stylesheet) is done, then that's it. After that documents are
simple, especially equations, which with the keyboard shortcuts are a snap.

Just my take,

Kevin