Re: How to write reports and books in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109731] Re: How to write reports and books in Mathematica
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 05:34:23 -0400 (EDT)

On 5/13/10 at 7:23 AM, dave at removedbailey.co.uk (David Bailey) wrote:

>I wonder if Snow Leopard can run VirtualBox (free to download). This
>would let you run a viritual Windows or Linux inside it. Running the
>appropriate version of Mathematica in that environment might be a
>good work around, but I would check with Wolfram Research first.

It is possible to run VirtualBox under Snow Leopard. And once
installed, it is possible to set up either Windows or Linux
running as a virtual machine with VirtualBox. And since these
virtual machines running a different operating system would look
no different than a real machine running the same operating
system, there should be no difficulty with running the
appropriate version of Mathematica that way. But...

There is no free lunch. There is an overhead associated with
running a foreign operating system under VirtualBox or one of
the commercial alternatives. And for processor intensive
applications such as Mathematica, you may not get what you would
consider acceptable performance unless you have a machine with
lots of memory and a fairly fast processor.

One other thing to note, VirtualBox and the commercial
alternatives (Parallels and VMWare Fusion) run on the newer
Apple machines with an Intel processor, not the older machines
with a PPC processor.