Re: Help: my mathemetica is broken

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109755] Re: Help: my mathemetica is broken
  • From: Peter Pein <petsie at dordos.net>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 19:58:50 -0400 (EDT)

Am Fri, 14 May 2010 09:34:38 +0000 (UTC)
schrieb davef <davidfrick2003 at yahoo.com>:

> I create a new notebook and type an expression in it. By default the
> cell should be of style "input" so that when I hit enter the
> expression is evaluated.
>
> But that is not what is happening.
>
> I type the expression and it is set as type "other,". It will not
> execute nor can I change the style to "input" or something else,  The
> only style option available is "other."
>
> Previously Mathemetica was functioning normally on this machine,
>
> Can any one give me some guidance on how to troubleshoot this problem?
>
> I am using the student edition of Mathematica 7.0.1.0

Hi David,

press Strg-Shift-O to open the option-inspector. Choose "Global
Preferences in the drop-down menu which reads "Selection". In the tree
below navigate to "Cell Options"/"New Cell Defaults". If I guess
correctly, the topic "DefaultNewCellStyle" is not set to "Input" and
has got a checkmark set. Either uncheck it or select "Input" and click
on "Apply".

You might want to have a look at all the options, where a checkmark
appears (denoting non-default setting) and check if it is that what you
want.

hth,
Peter