Re: How to write reports and books in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109760] Re: How to write reports and books in Mathematica
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 06:15:05 -0400 (EDT)

On 5/14/10 at 5:33 AM, Kevin.McCann at umbc.edu (Kevin J. McCann) wrote:

>Here we have a difference of opinion. LaTeX and all the other Tex's
>require that "code" be written, which is subsequently processed to
>generate the final output.

Yes, LaTeX is a markup language and does require some learning
before you can use it effectively. And since it can do a variety
of things, like Mathematica, there are a great many things to
learn. But also like Mathematica, you do not need to learn
everything in order to get things done.

>That said, I rely on the Stylesheet to determine the look and feel
>of the document, and, as I said in an earlier post, this is not at
>all intuitive. So, here is where I have to spend my time, but once
>the template (Stylesheet) is done,

You have effectively substituted one problem for another with
roughly the same degree of difficulty. That is instead of using
a LaTeX class, you are using a Stylesheet which performs
essentially the same purpose. And I would point out, there is
many more books/references available for LaTeX and how to use it
than there are for Mathematica Stylesheets.