Overloading StringJoin

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg109786] Overloading StringJoin
  • From: Mark Adler <madler at>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 07:12:30 -0400 (EDT)

I use Join enough that I like to overload StringJoin to do it:

x_List <> y_List := x~Join~y

Then I can do this:

{1, 2, 3, 4}

Why doesn't Mathematica already do this?  It seem like an obvious use
of <>.  Or is there a good reason that they don't do this, and
therefore if I do, it makes me a bad person?