Overloading StringJoin

I use Join enough that I like to overload StringJoin to do it:

Unprotect[StringJoin];
x_List <> y_List := x~Join~y
Protect[StringJoin];

Then I can do this:

{1, 2, 3, 4}

Why doesn't Mathematica already do this?  It seem like an obvious use
of <>.  Or is there a good reason that they don't do this, and
therefore if I do, it makes me a bad person?

Mark