Equals, Less, Greater, etc; Confused by this simple output.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109825] Equals, Less, Greater, etc; Confused by this simple output.
  • From: telefunkenvf14 <rgorka at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 07:03:26 -0400 (EDT)

Can someone offer an explanation for the following output?---I'm
trying to understand why it makes sense for Mathematica to be set up
to respond like this. (Of course, feel free to point out any glaringly
obvious math examples.)

In[1]:= {a == a, a <= a, a >= a, a < a, a > a}

Out[1]= {True, a <= a, a >= a, a < a, a > a}

I would have thought that a <= a and a >= a would both evaluate to
True, given that a == a does. Also, can something really be greater
than itself? Hmmm... maybe there's hope for me after all. :)

-RG