How to Enable Automatic Recalculation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109817] How to Enable Automatic Recalculation
  • From: Victor Roberts <xxx at lighting-research.com>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 07:01:59 -0400 (EDT)

I'm new to Mathematica, so perhaps there is a simple answer
to this question.

How to I set Mathematica so that when I change the value
assigned to a variable it will automatically change all
later calculations that use that variable.

For example, if I set

a = 5

and

b = 3 + a

I would like the value of b updated each time I change the
value of a.

Right how, I need to recalculate each and every expression
that uses the variable a if I change its value.  There must
be a better way.

--
Vic Roberts
Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.