Re: Handbook of Mathematical functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109831] Re: Handbook of Mathematical functions
  • From: Vince Virgilio <blueschi at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 07:04:31 -0400 (EDT)

On May 18, 2:01 am, "Kurt TeKolste" <tekol... at fastmail.net> wrote:
> You might be interested in the online version of the Handbook of
> Mathematical functions from NIST.  It is available athttp://dlmf.nist.gov/.
>
> You can download a formula to Mathematica by Importing in LaTeX or
> MathML from the URL provided with a formula.  For example:
>
> A generating function for the Chebyshev polynomial of the first kind may
> be found athttp://dlmf.nist.gov/18.12, equation 7 and downloaded using
> any of the three following.
>
> LaTeX --
>      Import["http://dlmf.nist.gov/18.12.E7.tex","NotebookObject";]
>      The LaTeX option brings up a notebook displaying the function --
>      but it generally requires some editing to convert it into valid
>      Mathematica input syntax.
>
> MathML --
>     Import["http://dlmf.nist.gov/18.12.E7.pMML","MathML";]
>     I have not been able to do anything useful with the MathML input.
>
> If you only want a picture --
>     Import["http://dlmf.nist.gov/18.12.E7.png";]
>
> ekt

And the fragility spreads. It's a little depressing that two projects
with a similar subset of goals can't simply interoperate. And that
with, what, 14 yrs behind DLMF and > 20 behind Mathematica.

Nonetheless, Abramowitz and Stegun probably needed an update.

Which has nothing to do with my preference for the Wolfram Functions
site.

Vince Virgilio