Re: How to Enable Automatic Recalculation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109886] Re: How to Enable Automatic Recalculation
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 06:45:23 -0400 (EDT)

hi Murray;

I do not think using Dynamics is a good idea. For me Dynamics is like goto
on steroids, it makes it much harder to understand the logic of the code
when looking at the source code. (along the same lines of using goto's or
catch/throw to control logic of code would not be a good idea)

For me, I do not think Dynamics was a good thing to add to Mathematica. Yes,
it has cool side effects, but on the other hand, it makes programming in
Mathematica, when using Dynamics, so much more complex to understand.

We have the classic event listener GUI model around which everyone
understood how that works as it is a simple model why make a new one?  May
there is some good internal design reasons in Mathematica beyond my limited
understand of it which beyong the scope of this topic.

I now have a new measure of what makes a  Mathematica expert: You are a
mathematica expert, if you REALLY do understand Dynamics :)

--Nasser

news:ht1uua$3cf$1 at smc.vnet.net...