Re: Fluid dynamic over a complex terrain

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109914] Re: Fluid dynamic over a complex terrain
  • From: Oliver Ruebenkoenig <ruebenko at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 00:43:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 20 May 2010, Luc Barthelet wrote:

> I am interesting in modeling the flow of air or water over a terrain
> with varying elevation. (the resolution is either 128x128 or 256x256).
> I have a few known values of the speed in some of the cells, and I am
> interested in extrapolating a solution that takes the terrain into account.
> For the wind, I assume a layer that behaves like a ceiling. (and of
> course the same for the water).
>
> I believe I need a solution that respects the Navier-Stokes equations
> and also mass conservation.
> An example similar to what I am trying to achieve can be found at
> http://sfports.wr.usgs.gov/cgi-bin/wind/windbin.cgi
> Has anyone implemented anything  like this in Mathematica before?

I have implemented something vaguely like this;

There is finite difference code and a finite element code for the
transient Navier-Stokes equation.

http://portal.uni-freiburg.de/imteksimulation/downloads/ims

Both would need serious modification to get what you are looking for but
both solve the NS-equation.

Oliver