Some collected information about Dynamic

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109947] Some collected information about Dynamic
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 07:08:02 -0400 (EDT)

I just did a Google count, and before today, I was up to 91 posts referencing
the word Dynamic.  As much as I'd like to make this post #100, I'll probably
forget, so this will be magic post #96, or something like that.

I've posted most (but not all) of these links before about constructing
interfaces with Dynamic and DynamicModule.  I thought it might be useful to
aggregate them in a single post.  As a reminder, there's some very good
in-product documentation about both Manipulate and Dynamic, and these links
generally build on that information.

http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/Conferences/6876/
The Version 6 Front End: A simple presentation about a simple idea
Given at IMS 2006, this presentation is an apology (as in explanation, not as in
regret) for Dynamic and some of the other features and changes made in v6.  In
it, I recreate Manipulate from scratch.

http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/Conferences/6992/
Principles of Symbolic Interfaces
Given at the 2007 Wolfram Technology Conference, this presentation highlights
and explains with many examples four principles for developing Dynamic
interfaces.

http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2009/Feb/msg00424.html
In which I offer a series of examples and "trick" questions which help to blow
through some common myths about Dynamic.  Understanding the points I outline
here is absolutely mandatory to creating sophisticated interfaces with Dynamic.

http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2010/Mar/msg00021.html
By far the most technical of the links mentioned here.  I offer some
considerable detail about some of the underlying implementation of Dynamic.  I
also highlight the fact that not all Dynamics are strictly equal, and discuss
the consequences of the different kinds of Dynamics.

Hope somebody finds these useful.  At least I will...now I have one place where
I can look up all these links! :)

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com