exporting publishable 3D graphics

I need to export a 3D graphics object generated with ListPlot3D to be
used in a publication.  I'm compiling with PDFLatex so I need to export
to a png, jpg, or pdf file.

If I export as a png, the text and axes are pixelated to the extent that
the image is unusable.  Increasing the resolution doesn't help.

If I export the plot as a pdf, the text looks good (because it's
exported as fonts), but the file size is enormous.  Presumably, this is
because Export saves the surface in a vector format, which would be
terribly inefficient for something created using ListPlot3D.

Is there a way to Export a pdf where the text and axes are saved in a
vector format, but the surface is saved in a bitmap format?

Best,
Robert