Re: exporting publishable 3D graphics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110011] Re: exporting publishable 3D graphics
  • From: Robert Rosenbaum <robertr at math.uh.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 07:23:53 -0400 (EDT)

I'm using 7.0.0 on mac OS 10.6.  If I use the drop down menu to print as a pdf, the graphic certainly looks better and the file size is reasonable, but it is placed on a large white page.  I have to crop it manually.

It would be nice if there was a way to get the same quality using the Export command.

On May 27, 2010, at 7:37 AM, David Park wrote:

> If you have Adobe Acrobat you should be able to Print to Adobe PDF, i.e.,
> using the Menu Print command, and obtain much better results.
>

> David Park
> djmpark at comcast.net
> http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/
>

> From: Robert Rosenbaum [mailto:robertr at math.uh.edu]
>

> I need to export a 3D graphics object generated with ListPlot3D to be
> used in a publication.  I'm compiling with PDFLatex so I need to export
> to a png, jpg, or pdf file.
>
> If I export as a png, the text and axes are pixelated to the extent that
> the image is unusable.  Increasing the resolution doesn't help.
>
> If I export the plot as a pdf, the text looks good (because it's
> exported as fonts), but the file size is enormous.  Presumably, this is
> because Export saves the surface in a vector format, which would be
> terribly inefficient for something created using ListPlot3D.
>
> Is there a way to Export a pdf where the text and axes are saved in a
> vector format, but the surface is saved in a bitmap format?
>

> Best,
> Robert

Best,
Robert