Re: exporting publishable 3D graphics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110003] Re: exporting publishable 3D graphics
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 07:22:26 -0400 (EDT)

If you have Adobe Acrobat you should be able to Print to Adobe PDF, i.e.,
using the Menu Print command, and obtain much better results.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: Robert Rosenbaum [mailto:robertr at math.uh.edu]

I need to export a 3D graphics object generated with ListPlot3D to be
used in a publication.  I'm compiling with PDFLatex so I need to export
to a png, jpg, or pdf file.

If I export as a png, the text and axes are pixelated to the extent that
the image is unusable.  Increasing the resolution doesn't help.

If I export the plot as a pdf, the text looks good (because it's
exported as fonts), but the file size is enormous.  Presumably, this is
because Export saves the surface in a vector format, which would be
terribly inefficient for something created using ListPlot3D.

Is there a way to Export a pdf where the text and axes are saved in a
vector format, but the surface is saved in a bitmap format?

Best,
Robert