Re: Assertions in Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113548] Re: Assertions in Mathematica?
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 05:01:22 -0500 (EST)

On 11/1/2010 2:58 AM, Helen Read wrote:
> On 10/31/2010 6:36 AM, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
>> On 10/31/2010 12:10 AM, kj wrote:
>>
>> Can I also join in the rant about the documentations? :)
>>
>> What I like to see more in documentations:
>>
>> 1. more examples, and more examples, and yet more examples.
>

> Seriously? Most of the documentation pages are *loaded* with examples,
> and I rarely come across a page where I am left wishing for more examples.

The reason more examples are useful, because one understands how a
Mathematica command works by seeing an example of how it is used for a
problem similar to the one they are trying to solve.

Since there is no formal definition of Mathematica nor of its commands,
one needs to see examples to understand how a command works. The more
examples, the better the chance one can see one example to help them
really understand the command, in case the other examples did not do the
job. Many  times, I look at one example, and some thing is still not
clear, but when I see the second example, it makes the point clear.

I do not see the problem with more examples. They can be located on
separate page, and the users who like to see more examples, can see
them, and the experts like you, who thinks there are enough example, do
not have to.

I do not see what the problem is. Is it disk space you are worried about?

--Nasser