Re: Interpolation undocumented error

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113630] Re: Interpolation undocumented error
  • From: "Hyatt, John S" <jshyatt at gatech.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 05:12:30 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

I have tried both the Obtuse and Imtek packages suggested.  They are installed and working correctly.  However, I cannot get a meaningful interpolation function to my data.  Using Imtek's imsUnstructuredInterpolation, I get the following error message:

LinearSolve::luc: Result for LinearSolve of badly conditioned matrix {{-3.1356*10^21,-2.01921*10^21,-1.27651*10^21,-7.89872*10^20,-4.77313*10^20,-2.81064*10^20,<<40>>,-5.56912*10^18,-5.56912*10^18,-2.43624*10^18,-2.43624*10^18,<<315>>},<<49>>,<<315>>} may contain significant numerical errors. >>

And for Obtuse, using the RBF method for Interpolation, I get:

LinearSolve::luc: Result for LinearSolve of badly conditioned matrix {<<1>>} may contain significant numerical errors. >>

Both of these messages are similar.  However, I don't know how to make sense of this error either:  first, what is <<...>>, and second, what is the message trying to say?  The data is single-valued and obviously lies on a smooth surface - I can eyeball what a given value should be, but I want a specific interpolation function so I can make it part of my analysis routine.  Does anyone recognize this message, and for those of you familiar with Obtuse and Imtek, has this problem cropped up before?  As far as I can tell I'm setting up my data and interpolation in the same format as in the examples in both packages' documentation.  I am making sure that the third element of each data point is the "z" value, and that the "x" and "y" designations are consistent within all the different data sets I'm trying to interpolate.  I've tried different orders of fitting and different fit types, and each time, while I do get an interpolation surface, it's complete nonsense (i.e. nowhere near
 t!
he data).

Thanks in advance,
John H