Re: Interpolation undocumented error

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113664] Re: Interpolation undocumented error
  • From: "Ingolf Dahl" <ingolf.dahl at telia.com>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 05:01:59 -0500 (EST)

Maybe you have some points with identical or very close coordinates? Then
you might get this kind of error for the RBF interpolation. It would be easy
to put a filter in the interpolation routine before the interpolation, but I
did not find it attractive to tamper with the input data behind the back of
the user. It is thus the responsibility of the user to remove such doublets,
and I think it should be that way.
Another warning: RBF interpolation can be very good for "mathematical data",
e.g. solutions of differential equations, but can give big oscillations for
noisy experimental data.

Best regards

Ingolf Dahl

http://www.familydahl.
> se/mathematica/ .
> This package was inspired by exactly this error message, and it contains
five different
> interpolation methods, defined as "methods" to the Interpolation function.
Which method to
> choose depends strongly on the character of the data, so you probably need
to experiment a
> little to see what suits your case.
>
> Best regards
>
> Ingolf Dahl