MathGroup Archive 2010

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Find max of a Find root function

Can someone please assist me with the following sample problem.  Bottom line is that I'd like to use the FindRoot function to numerically solve an equation, that involves a parameter.  I'd then like to use the Findmax function that would yield the largest root for a specified range of the parameter.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

Dan
I first define the function
f[a_?NumberQ]:=x/.Last[FindRoot[xSCos[a x],{x,.4}]]

and it evaluates nicely.

f[3]

It even graphs nicely.

Plot[f[x],{x,2,3}]
[cid:image002.png at 01CB8019.CA736910]

But it doesn't like me asking for a max...

FindMaximum[{f[a],2=A3a=A33},{a,3}]

The errors I get are the following

FindRoot::nlnum :  The function value {1. -1. Cos[1. a]} is not a list of numbers with dimensions {1} at {x} = {1.}. ?
ReplaceAll::reps :  {FindRoot[xSCos[a x],{x,1}]} is neither a list of replacement rules nor a valid dispatch table, and so cannot be used for replacing. ?
FindRoot::nlnum :  The function value {1. -1. Cos[1. a]} is not a list of numbers with dimensions {1} at {x} = {1.}. ?
ReplaceAll::reps :  {FindRoot[xSCos[a x],{x,1}]} is neither a list of replacement rules nor a valid dispatch table, and so cannot be used for replacing. ?
General::stop :  Further output of FindRoot::nlnum will be suppressed during this calculation. ?
General::stop :  Further output of ReplaceAll::reps will be suppressed during this calculation. ?
{-0.887727,{a=AE3.}}

• Prev by Date: Re: issue with LinearSolve[] when using SparseArray
  • Next by Date: Re: can't get Mathematica 5.2 to evaluate anything
  • Previous by thread: Re: issue with LinearSolve[] when using SparseArray
  • Next by thread: Re: Find max of a Find root function